Friday, October 31, 2008

Vintage....Vintage....and more Vintage

My retail space will sell vintage formal dresses from all eras. These dresses are high end and can be considered couture depending on the time period it is from. My store is located in one of the glass cubes that have 2 levels. I have considered playing with level heights being that the space I have is so vast. I am also considering making a display room that would make the space more intimate. I would really like to keep the store in terms of color neutral either a stark white or black, most likely white. Keeping t he store in a sort of “blank palette” will really let the garments speak for themselves. A lot of the formal dresses I have been looking to place in my store are a variety of color. What tends to happen is when the word formal dress is thrown out there many tend to think of black and white because these neutrals are clean, classic and allows for one’s accessories to pop. But I wanted to move away from that I think other colors worn are fun but can also be classy as the black and white. I really want the dresses themselves to be somewhat like individual art pieces within the store, each creating an added element to the overall feel of the space. I have been working on creating a new way to hang my garments in the store, possibly a different material that serves as a rack other than wood, plastic, metal, etc.

After the feedback I received from last class I have considered separating my garments by color and play with lighting that will highlight each specific color. I once again could not help but think back to the trip to Anthropologies. The ways they design their stores are completely different than most retail stores. So in terms of a window display and floor set up I was thinking of using common everyday materials/products to create a dress or something to that effect. I am also considering making a different “room” with a specific color because again I would like to create a different mood from each garment piece.

So how does this all relate to Revolution Mills…well as an overall scheme of things I am taking the old and having an appreciation for it, combining the past and present and moving forward with the future. I am still striving for the sustainable factor behind my retail store, I do still see theses dresses being sustainable and being the original dresses of its kind. Using recyclable materials for display purposes. I am taking a new approach in interpreting vintage.

As a customer entering the store I want them to rally be able to experience a full spectrum of vintage formal fashion. Possibly make them feel they are in the dressing room behind stage of a fashion show and they get to choose whatever dress they want, try them on, and buy them; almost feeling like a model/ celebrity. But it is just a thought, I’m not really sure if that is what I really want.

2 comments:

aw said...

The thing that you hit on that excited me most was the idea of having the store be like backstage at a fashion show where you have racks of clothes to try on but can choose whatever you want. You seem to be describing two different kinds of stores - the white, upscale boutique with vintage dresses carefully displayed like museum pieces. The other idea (and I'm really partial to it) is this idea of the thrill of the hunt and the thrill of the runway. I love this idea and could see you how you could play up the frenzy and excitement in a way that would appeal to young fashionistas especially. Loud music is playing, the light is direct and almost harsh in the dressing area in contrast to the mirrored room where you are the center of attention. Actually this is sort of reminding me of when I bought my wedding dress. There was a long corridor of stalls where you take the dresses you have picked- there are no doors...and you stand there with everybody else and pull dresses on and off. (Suzanne said she bring herself to go there- and maybe this would turn some people off because you don't want to feel just one of the herd.) BUT an interesting thing happened. My mom and sister and I got to know the girl beside me who had brought her friend with her. You start to build excitement together and give each other feedback and in a way share a common experience with a complete stranger. I imagine fashion shows are much the same way. As you would agree, I would caution against the Filene's Basement feel, but i think it could be really cool. It also reminds me of the section of Lucky magazine where they have people off the street pick clothes from a rack and combine them to make their unique style... Oh, also another interesting thing about the bridal place that had such a psychological bearing is that the "stalls" were separate from the mirrored area- which was one big long wall of mirrors in the other room where you all went to look at yourselves. There was an incredibly build up of anticipation between the time you pull the dress on - at which time your friends and family can see you and react / get excited) and when you see yourself. I think you could really play on this idea especially if you are trying to sell the kind of dresses that give you that made-just-for-me feel.

Danette Walden said...

I think that you idea of having a very neutral back ground is great to highlight your merchandise, because this is what you want your consumers to notice. I feel though you should use some ribboning trough-out the store some what like one of your inspiration photos. Maybe this ribbon of color can be where or how you hang your merchandise.