Friday, September 26, 2008

desk crit roulette

Today’s desk crit really helped me as far as what direction I should go in. My group and I are trying to capture the mill’s history as well as reflect what it will be used today. Essentially we want to connect the past to the present without being so literal. We decided to create a bridge within the space, which would connect you from one side to another but also one level to the next. In my first critique with Jimmy, it helped me to further develop our ideas. As far as if we are wanting to use the basement level to house shops/vendor areas we would need to think about the issue of flooding due to the Buffalo Creek. Would we create a roof system over our market area that will address the issue of water? Will we think of a way of creating a system that will collect the water that would runoff into the Creek when it rains? Also would our stores be permanent or moveable? In terms of lighting would there be a substantial amount of natural and artificial lighting. The direction I took as far as using the ironwork as an inspiration to connect the past to present is a great start. Jimmy also pointed me in the direction towards letting the fixtures be an aid in the connection.
In my second critique with Debbie I began to further my development and think about creating a staircase bridge, where there is this straight path that takes the shape of a bridge but different paths that maybe veer off into stairs or even a ramp or both. Through what my group and I have already produced it could potentially take on the notion of open/close. Relating Iron Mill work to modern plexi-glass that is eminent in the façade of the bridge itself.
Overall I have been inspired and encouraged to continue to think in a broad way. It is better to think large and then narrow it down then to think small and be stuck on what to do next. And to also continue to think abstract and draw, use sketch models, and use all types of medias to convey ideas.

1 comment:

suzanne cabrera said...

Love the last paragraph of your reflection! Yes!!!

Glad to hear you received valuable feedback today. I want to encourage your group, if you decide to continue with the bridge concept, to think about how this "connection" can be made in many different ways and on many different levels...both conceptually and physically.